Transitioning from high school to college is one of the most profound shifts in a young person’s life. Successfully navigating the mixture of freedoms and responsibilities, anticipation and anxiety, leisure and stress when you arrive at a university can be difficult even for the most diligent of people.
But COBE is here to support Rams during this integral phase of their lives.
This year COBE and The Well launch THRIVE, a living-learning community comprised of around 40 freshmen housed in Rhoads Hall.
By integrating research, teaching and programming into an action-packed living experience, THRIVE helps students learn how to make the most out of their college years and lead healthy, prosperous lives.
As a program-in-residence, THRIVE melds research, academics and life outside of the classroom through:
- Priority enrollment in a three-credit class called The Science of Happiness, taken in the fall or spring, focused on research-based promotion of well-being. The class is team taught by faculty experts and students learn about how to set themselves up for success – all while earning course credit!
- Programming collaboratively developed by our faculty and Residence Assistants, Falon and Eric, focused on health and wellbeing such as healthy eating and yoga.
- Mentorship and special opportunities provided by Faculty like Fireside Chats to get to know students outside the classroom.
- Wellness focused events created with student input and ideas.
- The opportunity to be a part of a paid research study that will examine the effectiveness of the program.
- Graduates receive a completion certificate at the end of the year!
After hosting our launch party during move-in weekend and an art project entitled Free Ice Water created by VCU School of the Arts professor John Fryer, recurring programming kicks off with THRIVE yoga sessions led by Kamini Pahuja on September 14th.
THRIVE yoga is open to all students, faculty and staff as we encourage everyone to take time out of their day to be mindful and present. Sessions will occur every Wednesday from 4-5 pm in the Brandt Community Room.
Stay tuned for more information about events and ways to get involved throughout the year! And as always, make it real!!